Interferential current is essentially a deeper form of electrical stimulation. In essence, IFC uses a carrier frequency, usually 4000 Hz and by crossing 2 individual current generators they “interfere” with each other, resulting in the desired treatment frequency within the body. 4000 Hz crossed with 4100 Hz leaves us with 100 Hz.
The carrier frequency overcomes skin resistance more easily and penetrates the skin more deeply than a regular electrical stimulator, with less user discomfort for a given level of stimulation.
Deep in the tissues, the body perceives the difference between the carrier frequencies which is the treatment frequency, resulting in electrical stimulation deep within the tissues rather than just under the electrodes where there actually is a numbing effect taking place.
For example, at a frequency of 4,000 Hz skin resistance is eighty (80) times lower than with a frequency of 50 Hz. Thus, Interferential current crosses the skin with greater ease and with less stimulation of cutaneous nociceptors allowing greater patient comfort during electrical stimulation.
The physiological effects of IFC:
1. Depending upon the parameters that are selected, there can be an increase in localized blood flow.
2. Depending upon the parameters that are selected, there can be the stimulation of local nerve cells that can have a pain reducing/analgesic effect due to potentially blocking the transmission of the pain signals (pain gate mechanism) or by stimulating the release of pain reducing endorphins (opiod mechanism).
3. Depending upon the parameters that are selected there can be some degree of muscle stimulation as muscle contraction can be achieved through external application of electrical current, overcoming some of the muscle inhibition often caused by local injury and edema.
Interferential Current Therapy helps with the following:
- Reduces or eliminates your pain safely.
- Noticeable decrease in swelling and inflammation.
- Restores lost movement and improves restricted movements and coordination.
- Stimulates the natural hormones which can help your body heal faster.
- Considered by many experts as a highly effective form of treatment for chronic pain.